Friday, September 27, 2013

"I do, I understand"

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Firstly on differentiated Instruction: Meeting Students Where They Are

What Differentiated Instruction Means for Teachers
Teachers DO
Teachers DON'T
  • provide several learning options, or different paths to learning, which help students take in information and make sense of concepts and skills.
  • develop a separate lesson plan for each student in a classroom.
  • provide appropriate levels of challenge for all students, including those who lag behind, those who are advanced, and those right in the middle.
  • "water down" the curriculum for some students.

Hence, Struggling learners would need more practice while advanced learners would need enrichment.
For more information on differentiated learning, check out the website: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/teachingtoday/subject/di_meeting.phtml

Qualitative Data:
·         Deals with descriptions.
·         Data can be observed but not measured.
·         Colours, textures, smells, tastes, appearance, beauty
VS
Quantitative Data:
·         Deals with numbers.
·         Data which can be measured.
·         Length, height, area, volume, weight, speed, time, temperature, humidity, sound levels, cost, members,    ages, etc.
   
*Do not say, “Show me a big circle”/ “give me a small square”- 
Give collection and say "give me a larger triangle"
When using unfamiliar nouns with children, DO NOT use adjectives as it will confuse the children!
Do not say, "4 times more than!- it is ambiguous,instead, say "4 times as many as or 4 more than"  
            
The activity I liked for today would be: Problem 18-making square with tangrams
Here are some examples:




The day ended with learning all about angles. The most interesting way of creating a 180 degrees straight line was tearing the angles of the triangle and putting them together to form a stragiht line! Who would have thought!

Thank you for reading!:)


No comments:

Post a Comment